|PUBLISHED SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH ON EHS
Marino AA, Kim PY, Frilot Ii C. Trigeminal neurons detect cellphone radiation: Thermal or nonthermal is not the question. Electromagn Biol Med. 2016 Jul 15:1-9.
• Cellphone electromagnetic radiation produces temperature alterations in facial skin. We hypothesized that the radiation-induced heat was transduced by warmth-sensing trigeminal neurons, as evidenced by changes in cognitive processing of the afferent signals. Ten human volunteers were exposed on the right side of the face to 1 GHz radiation in the absence of acoustic, tactile, and low-frequency electromagnetic stimuli produced by cellphones.
• Results: Trigeminal neurons were capable of detecting temperature changes far below skin temperature increases caused by cellphone radiation. Simulated cellphone radiation affected brain electrical activity associated with nonlinear cognitive processing of radiation-induced thermal afferent signals. Radiation standards for cellphones based on a thermal/nonthermal binary distinction do not prevent neurophysiological consequences of cellphone radiation.
• The public-health significance of chronic and subacute exposure to cellphone radiation is under scrutiny (Chu et al., 2011; Coureau et al., 2014; Hardell et al., 2013; Szykjowska et al., 2014), and marked disagreements exist among the stakeholders as regards the public-health risks. Our work is directly pertinent to one aspect of the contentiousness, the assumption that there exists a binary distinction between so-called thermal and nonthermal biological effects associated with cellphone radiation. In that perspective, cellphone radiation is regarded as inherently nonthermal and consequently unable to cause any biological effects, health related or otherwise. The results reported here indicated that a standard cellphone radiating at a level well within approved emission limits will necessarily produce a physiological thermal effect triggered by heat deposited in the user’s facial skin. Consequently, cellphone safety cannot validly be predicated on the absence of thermal effects because they are never absent.
Belpomme D, Campagnac C, Irigaray P., Reliable disease biomarkers characterizing and identifying electrohypersensitivity and multiple chemical sensitivity as two etiopathogenic aspects of a unique pathological disorder. Rev Environ Health. 2015;30(4):251-71. doi: 10.1515/reveh-2015-0027.
Igor Belyaev, Amy Dean, Horst Eger, Gerhard Hubmann, Reinhold Jandrisovits, Markus Kern, Michael Kundi, Hanns Moshammer, Piero Lercher, Kurt Müller, Gerd Oberfeld*, Peter Ohnsorge, Peter Pelzmann, Claus Scheingraber and Roby Thill, EUROPAEM EMF Guideline 2016 for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of EMF-related health problems and illnesses, Rev Environ Health 2016, DOI 10.1515/reveh-2016-0011 Read the full PDF
• “On the one hand, there is strong evidence that long-term exposure to certain EMFs is a risk factor for diseases such as certain cancers, Alzheimer’s disease, and male infertility. On the other hand, the emerging electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) is more and more recognized by health authorities, disability administrators and case workers, politicians, as well as courts of law.”
• “We recommend treating EHS clinically as part of the group of chronic multisystem illnesses (CMI), but still recognizing that the underlying cause remains the environment. In the beginning, EHS symptoms occur only occasionally, but over time they may increase in frequency and severity. Common EHS symptoms include headaches, concentration difficulties, sleep problems, depression, a lack of energy, fatigue, and flu-like symptoms. A comprehensive medical history, which should include all symptoms and their occurrences in spatial and temporal terms and in the context of EMF exposures, is the key to making the diagnosis.”
• “The primary method of treatment should mainly focus on the prevention or reduction of EMF exposure, that is, reducing or eliminating all sources of high EMF exposure at home and at the workplace. The reduction of EMF exposure should also be extended to public spaces such as schools, hospitals, public transport, and libraries to enable persons with EHS an unhindered use (accessibility measure). If a detrimental EMF exposure is reduced sufficiently, the body has a chance to recover and EHS symptoms will be reduced or even disappear.
• “There is increasing evidence that EMF exposure has a major impact on the oxidative and nitrosative regulation capacity in affected individuals. This concept also may explain why the level of susceptibility to EMF can change and why the range of symptoms reported in the context of EMF exposures is so large. Based on our current understanding, a treatment approach that minimizes the adverse effects of peroxynitrite – as has been increasingly used in the treatment of multisystem illnesses – works best. This EMF Guideline gives an overview of the current knowledge regarding EMF-related health risks and provides recommendations for the diagnosis, treatment and accessibility measures of EHS to improve and restore individual health outcomes as well as for the development of strategies for prevention.”
Belpomme D, Campagnac C, Irigaray P., Reliable disease biomarkers characterizing and identifying electrohypersensitivity and multiple chemical sensitivity as two etiopathogenic aspects of a unique pathological disorder. Rev Environ Health. 2015 Dec 1;30(4):251-71. doi: 10.1515/reveh-2015-0027.
• Much of the controversy over the causes of electro-hypersensitivity (EHS) and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) lies in the absence of both recognized clinical criteria and objective biomarkers for widely accepted diagnosis. Since 2009, we have prospectively investigated, clinically and biologically, 1216 consecutive EHS and/or MCS-self reporting cases, in an attempt to answer both questions. We report here our preliminary data, based on 727 evaluable of 839 enrolled cases: 521 (71.6%) were diagnosed with EHS, 52 (7.2%) with MCS, and 154 (21.2%) with both EHS and MCS. Two out of three patients with EHS and/or MCS were female; mean age (years) was 47. As inflammation appears to be a key process resulting from electromagnetic field (EMF) and/or chemical effects on tissues, and histamine release is potentially a major mediator of inflammation, we systematically measured histamine in the blood of patients. Near 40% had a increase in histaminemia (especially when both conditions were present), indicating a chronic inflammatory response can be detected in these patients. Oxidative stress is part of inflammation and is a key contributor to damage and response. Nitrotyrosin, a marker of both peroxynitrite (ONOO°-) production and opening of the blood-brain barrier (BBB), was increased in 28% the cases. Protein S100B, another marker of BBB opening was increased in 15%. Circulating autoantibodies against O-myelin were detected in 23%, indicating EHS and MCS may be associated with autoimmune response. Confirming animal experiments showing the increase of Hsp27 and/or Hsp70 chaperone proteins under the influence of EMF, we found increased Hsp27 and/or Hsp70 in 33% of the patients. As most patients reported chronic insomnia and fatigue, we determined the 24 h urine 6-hydroxymelatonin sulfate (6-OHMS)/creatinin ratio and found it was decreased (<0.8) in all investigated cases. Finally, considering the self-reported symptoms of EHS and MCS, we serially measured the brain blood flow (BBF) in the temporal lobes of each case with pulsed cerebral ultrasound computed tomosphygmography. Both disorders were associated with hypoperfusion in the capsulothalamic area, suggesting that the inflammatory process involve the limbic system and the thalamus. Our data strongly suggest that EHS and MCS can be objectively characterized and routinely diagnosed by commercially available simple tests. Both disorders appear to involve inflammation-related hyper-histaminemia, oxidative stress, autoimmune response, capsulothalamic hypoperfusion and BBB opening, and a deficit in melatonin metabolic availability; suggesting a risk of chronic neurodegenerative disease. Finally the common co-occurrence of EHS and MCS strongly suggests a common pathological mechanism.
Electromagnetic hypersensitivity – an increasing challenge to the medical profession. Reviews on Environ Health. 2015 Sep 15.
• CONCLUSION: It seems necessary to give an International Classification of Diseases to EHS to get it accepted as EMF-related health problems. The increasing exposure to RF-EMF in schools is of great concern and needs better attention. Longer-term health effects are unknown. Parents, teachers, and school boards have the responsibility to protect children from unnecessary exposure.
Sage C. The implications of non-linear biological oscillations on human electrophysiology for electrohypersensitivity (EHS) and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). Rev Environ Health. 2015 Sep 12.
• Electrohypersensitivity (EHS) can be a precursor to, or linked with, multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) . Similarity of chemical biomarkers is seen in both conditions [histamines, markers of oxidative stress, auto-antibodies, heat shock protein (HSP), melatonin markers and leakage of the blood-brain barrier]. Low intensity pulsed microwave activation of voltage-gated calcium channels (VGCCs) is postulated as a mechanism of action for non-thermal health effects.
Mortazavi G, Mortazavi SM. Increased mercury release from dental amalgam restorations after exposure to electromagnetic fields as a potential hazard for hypersensitive people and pregnant women. Rev Environ Health. 2015 Dec 1;30(4):287-92. doi: 10.1515/reveh-2015-0017.
• Over the past decades, the use of common sources of electromagnetic fields such as Wi-Fi routers and mobile phones has been increased enormously all over the world. There is ongoing concern that exposure to electromagnetic fields can lead to adverse health effects. It has recently been shown that even low doses of mercury are capable of causing toxicity. Therefore, efforts are initiated to phase down or eliminate the use of mercury amalgam in dental restorations. Increased release of mercury from dental amalgam restorations after exposure to electromagnetic fields such as those generated by MRI and mobile phones has been reported by our team and other researchers. We have recently shown that some of the papers which reported no increased release of mercury after MRI, may have some methodological errors. Although it was previously believed that the amount of mercury released from dental amalgam cannot be hazardous, new findings indicate that mercury, even at low doses, may cause toxicity. Based on recent epidemiological findings, it can be claimed that the safety of mercury released from dental amalgam fillings is questionable. Therefore, as some individuals tend to be hypersensitive to the toxic effects of mercury, regulatory authorities should re-assess the safety of exposure to electromagnetic fields in individuals with amalgam restorations. On the other hand, we have reported that increased mercury release after exposure to electromagnetic fields may be risky for the pregnant women. It is worth mentioning that as a strong positive correlation between maternal and cord blood mercury levels has been found in some studies, our findings regarding the effect of exposure to electromagnetic fields on the release of mercury from dental amalgam fillings lead us to this conclusion that pregnant women with dental amalgam fillings should limit their exposure to electromagnetic fields to prevent toxic effects of mercury in their fetuses. Based on these findings, as infants and children are more vulnerable to mercury exposures, and as some individuals are routinely exposed to different sources of electromagnetic fields, we possibly need a paradigm shift in evaluating the health effects of amalgam fillings.
De Luca et al., Metabolic and Genetic Screening of Electromagnetic Hypersensitive Subjects as a Feasible Tool for Diagnostics and Intervention, Mediators of Inflammation, Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 924184, 14 pages, //dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/924184
• Growing numbers of “electromagnetic hypersensitive” (EHS) people worldwide self-report severely disabling, multiorgan, non-specific symptoms when exposed to low-dose electromagnetic radiations, often associated with symptoms of multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) and/or other environmental “sensitivity-related illnesses” (SRI). This cluster of chronic inflammatory disorders still lacks validated pathogenetic mechanism, diagnostic biomarkers, and management guidelines. We hypothesized that SRI, not being merely psychogenic, may share organic determinants of impaired detoxification of common physic-chemical stressors. Based on our previous MCS studies, we tested a panel of 12 metabolic blood redox-related parameters and of selected drug-metabolizing-enzyme gene polymorphisms, on 153 EHS, 147 MCS, and 132 control Italians, confirming MCS altered –0.0001) glutathione-(GSH), GSH-peroxidase/S-transferase, and catalase erythrocyte activities. We first described comparable—though milder—metabolic pro-oxidant/proinflammatory alterations in EHS with distinctively increased plasma coenzyme-Q10 oxidation ratio. Severe depletion of erythrocyte membrane polyunsaturated fatty acids with increased ω6/ω3 ratio was confirmed in MCS, but not in EHS. We also identified significantly altered distribution-versus-control of the CYP2C19*1/*2 SNP variants in EHS, and a 9.7-fold increased risk (OR: 95% C.–74.5) of developing EHS for the haplotype (null)GSTT1 + (null)GSTM1 variants. Altogether, results on MCS and EHS strengthen our proposal to adopt this blood metabolic/genetic biomarkers’ panel as suitable diagnostic tool for SRI.
Redmayne M, Johansson O., Radiofrequency exposure in young and old: different sensitivities in light of age-relevant natural differences. Rev Environ Health. 2015 Dec 1;30(4):323-35. doi: 10.1515/reveh-2015-0030.
• Our environment is now permeated by anthropogenic radiofrequency electromagnetic radiation, and individuals of all ages are exposed for most of each 24 h period from transmitting devices. Despite claims that children are more likely to be vulnerable than healthy adults to unwanted effects of this exposure, there has been no recent examination of this, nor of comparative risk to the elderly or ill. We sought to clarify whether research supports the claim of increased risk in specific age-groups. First, we identified the literature which has explored age-specific pathophysiological impacts of RF-EMR. Natural life-span changes relevant to these different impacts provides context for our review of the selected literature, followed by discussion of health and well-being implications. We conclude that age-dependent RF-EMR study results, when considered in the context of developmental stage, indicate increased specific vulnerabilities in the young (fetus to adolescent), the elderly, and those with cancer. There appears to be at least one mechanism other than the known thermal mechanism causing different responses to RF-EMR depending upon the exposure parameters, the cell/physiological process involved, and according to age and health status. As well as personal health and quality-of-life impacts, an ageing population means there are economic implications for public health and policy.
Tuengler A, von Klitzing L., Hypothesis on how to measure electromagnetic hypersensitivity. Electromagn Biol Med. 2013 Sep;32(3):281-90. doi: 10.3109/15368378.2012.712586. Epub 2013 Jan 9.
• Electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) is an ill-defined term to describe the fact that people who experience health symptoms in the vicinity of electromagnetic fields (EMFs) regard them as causal for their complaints. Up to now most scientists assume a psychological cause for the suffering of electromagnetic hypersensitive individuals. This paper addresses reasons why most provocation studies could not find any association between EMF exposure and EHS and presents a hypothesis on diagnosis and differentiation of this condition. Simultaneous recordings of heart rate variability, microcirculation and electric skin potentials are used for classification of EHS. Thus, it could be possible to distinguish “genuine” electromagnetic hypersensitive individuals from those who suffer from other conditions.
Dr. Marino’s Research //andrewamarino.com/journalarticles.html summaries that looks at the changes in brain electrical activity that were caused by EMF transduction. The mathematical method developed is called Analysis of Brain Recurrence (ABR), is an algorithm that runs on a computer and extracts physiological information from the EEG.
Anthropogenic Radio-Frequency Electromagnetic Fields Elicit Neuropathic Pain in an Amputation Model
This study created amputee-like conditions in rodents and found that exposures to cell-tower-like radiation induced pain responses- a strong –blinded–indicator of an underlying biological process. Adult Wistar rats were used in this study where the RF EMF stimulus was attenuated to deliver an average power density equal to that measured at 39 m from a local cell phone tower.
“Conclusion: Our animal study supports anecdotal reports indicating that RF EMFs serve as a trigger for post-neurotomy pain. Further, it suggests that those who have suffered a nerve injury or other types of peripheral nerve pathology may be prone to RF EMF-induced pain.
Read the study in full here.
Read the News article: Electromagnetic Fields From Cellphone Towers Can Amplify Pain In Amputees, Study Finds
SCIENTIFIC SLIDE PRESENTATIONS ABOUT ELECTROMAGNETIC SENSITIVITY
5th Paris Appeal Congress, 18th of May, 2015, Royal Academy of Medicine, Belgium, Abstracts from the IDIOPATHIC ENVIRONMENTAL INTOLERANCE: WHAT ROLE FOR ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS AND CHEMICALS? Download it.
Electrohypersensitive individuals (EHS) in the digital world – a disabled population, deprived of home, work and basic rights, Slideshare, Published on Jan 26, 2016 by Dr. Yael Stein MD, Presented at: UNESCO Chair in Bioethics 10th World Conference, Jan 6-8/ 2015. Co-authors – Dr. Mbong Eta Ngole, Dr. Gaurav Aggarwal, and Dr. Joel M Moskowitz See the Slidshare here
ELECTROHYPERSENSITIVITY: INPUT OF MECHANISTIC STUDIES WITH LOW-INTENSITY RADIOFREQUENCY AND EXTREMELY LOW FREQUENCY ELCTROMAGNETIC FIELDS
BY Igor Belyaev Laboratory of Radiobiology, Institute of Cancer Research, Slovak Academy of Science Bratislava, Slovak Republic Laboratory of Radiobiology, Institute of General Physics, Russian Academy of Science, Moscow, Russia Download here.
Dr. Olle Johansson and Dr. Isaac Jamieson attended the EESC public hearing on November 4th 2014 in Brussels and presented on EHS. Please see Dr. Isaac Jamieson’s excellent presentation here.
2015, Brussels International Scientific Declaration on Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Download it here.
Proclamations in the USA: State of Colorado Proclamation on Electrical Hypersensitivity, State of Connecticut Proclamation, Broward County Florida Proclamation, Portland City Council Proclamation
Recognition of the Electromagnetic Sensitivity as a Disability Under the ADA
The Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (Access Board) is the Federal agency devoted to the accessibility for people with disabilities. The Access Board is responsible for developing and maintaining accessibility guidelines to ensure that newly constructed and altered buildings and facilities covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Architectural Barriers Act are accessible to and usable by people with disabilities. In November 1999, the Access Board issued a proposed rule to revise and update its accessibility guidelines. During the public comment period on the proposed rule, the Access Board received approximately 600 comments from individuals with multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS) and electromagnetic sensitivities (EMS).
The Board has taken the commentary very seriously and acted upon it. As stated in the Background for its Final Rule Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities; Recreation Facilities that was published in September 2002:
“The Board recognizes that multiple chemical sensitivities and electromagnetic sensitivities may be considered disabilities under the ADA if they so severely impair the neurological, respiratory or other functions of an individual that it substantially limits one or more of the individual’s major life activities. The Board plans to closely examine the needs of this population, and undertake activities that address accessibility issues for these individuals”.
Following its recognition of electro sensitivity and its declaration of commitment to attend to the needs of the electromagnetic sensitive, the Access Board contracted the National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS) to examine how to accommodate the needs of the electro sensitive in federally funded buildings. In 2005 the NIBS issued a report.
View the report here
Expert Report of Andrew A Marino: The peer reviewed research of electromagnetic sensitivity, Testimony August 8, 2016
The European Union’s European Economic and Social Committee has urged continuance of the precautionary principle through regulation and advisory work. They adopted an opinion on electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome (EHS) The European Union’s European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) Draft Opinion on electrohypersensitivity.
A mother takes it to court: A Montreal lawyer has filed a discrimination complaint against the Public Health Department (PHD) of Montreal and the Quebec government who refuse to give him and his three children reasonable accommodations due to EHS. Read it here.
9/2014: Los Angeles Unified School District Accommodated a Teacher Who Fell Ill After Wireless Installation. Read the Press release and watch the video of her testimony to the LAUSD School District Here. Read her letter of accommodation Here.
Australia, 2013, Court Case Won: McDonald and Comcare: The AAT ruling means McDonald will continue to be paid 75 per cent of his salary, as compensation for his illness. Read news coverage here
Read about a Federal Complaint filed against a US School for ADA Violations by Parents of A Electrically Sensitive Child 8/2015 Initial Press Release HERE. Full Complaint. Experts Letters Amended Complaint 12/2015
French court recognizes EHS as a handicap: BBC NEWS
December 2016: France orders removal of Smartmeter because of electromagnetic radiation
High Court of Madrid Ruling Recognizes “Electrosensitivity” as Grounds for Total Permanent Disability – Towards Better Health, 4th August 2016
Legal Ruling (in Spanish)
Job Accommodations for People with Electrical Sensitivity Job Accommodation Network (JAN). Preparation of this item was funded by the Office of Disability Employment Policy, U.S. Department of Labor
MEMORANDUM OF THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION OFFICE OF SPECIAL EDUCATION AND REHABILITATION SERVICES ADMINISTRATION REHABILITATION SERVICES ADMINISTRATION WASHINGTON on page 8 it states suggested ways to accommodate which include “minimizing exposure to electromagnetic fields from computers, fluorescent light ballasts, and other equipment.”
Electrosensitivity caused by chronic nervous system arousal – Dr Roy Fox
Is Wi-Fi making your child ill?: As France bans Wi-Fi in nursery and primary schools, a British expert who has given up using wireless gadgets says we should do the same. The Telegraph
What It’s Like to Be Allergic to Wi-Fi NY Magazine By Alexa Tsoulis-Reay
The Town without WiFi, Washingtonian Magazine
Notre Dame Magazine I Am an EMF Refugee
Allergic to Wifi? Meet a group of people who say they absolutely are – Fox 8, 8th May 2017
Powerwatch page on ES
EMF SAFETY NETWORK
Electrosensitivity Support Groups Worldwide
Electromagnetic Radiation Fact Sheet
Ten Ways to Manage Sensitivity to Electromagnetic Radiation Reactions at School
‘Electrosensitivity UK – Written Evidence by Michael Bevington – NATIONAL POLICY FOR THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT 19 February 2016
Allergic to life: the Arizona residents ‘sensitive to the whole world’
CLICK BELOW TO NAVIGATE TO PAGE SECTIONS
The Austrian Medical Association Guidelines for Diagnosis and Treatment of EMF related Health Problems
Scientific Slide Presentations on Electromagnetic Sensitivity
Lawsuits and Legal
Lectures from the Belgium Royal Academy of Medicine, 2015
Email us at email@example.com
P.O. Box 58, Teton Village WY 83025
Express mail should be sent to
7100 N Rachel Way Unit 6 Eagles Rest
Teton Village WY 83025
San Francisco small distributed antenna system antenna appeal
I am appealing the approval of ExteNet’s application for a personal wireless service facility site permit on the corner of 22nd Street and South Van Ness, right in front of 3089 22nd Street. I am opposed to the approval process on the grounds that it is out of compliance with standards pertaining to health, safety, and the environment. The approved deployment of this 4G small cell antenna will substantially add to an already oversaturated and polluted environment created by already existing 4G cell towers. Even the description small cells is a marketing/branding misrepresentation, because small cells are full-power cell phone towers. Where the use of cell phones is discretionary, this antenna will always be on, broadcasting and emitting radio-frequency microwave radiation twenty feet from the windows of Mission residents, affecting everyone else within range whether or not they use a cell phone. That is why this a disaster — no matter what government guideline you or the FCC quote to justify this assault.
(The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) maintains exclusive jurisdiction and control over the EMF spectrum and the airwaves, and sets the safety standards for telecommunications facilities. EMF emissions resulting from the proposed facility are well within those standards).
The antenna lies within a block and a half of Cesar Chavez Elementary School, giving children no choice but to be exposed to this radiation. How can you assure me that this antenna will do no harm?
Evidence has proven that there are adverse health effects from exposures to electromagnetic fields at current exposure levels. Yet, and perhaps by design, resources to asses the evidence pointing to this public health risk are grossly inadequate. There is evidence that current funding sources for research and assessment of EMF have biased the analysis and interpretation of research findings, consequently these funding sources have rejected evidence of possible public health risks. Arguments that weak or low intensity EMF do not affect biological systems are not true. Based on the review of the science, biological effects occur from extremely low frequency fields.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) cannot be relied on to serve the public interest because it is regulatory captured agency, it is dominated by the industries it presumably regulates. The FCC has allowed powerful moneyed interests to shape policies. The wireless industry has been allowed to grow unchecked and virtually unregulated, with questions on public health impacts routinely ignored. The wireless industry controls the FCC through a stranglehold that extends from its campaign spending in Congress, to its control of Congressional oversight committees and persistent lobbying.
Although it has taken sole responsibility for the radiation safety of personal wireless service deployment, the FCC has remained unaccountable for the health effects of radiation exposure. The FCC is not protecting public health. It’s deferential compliance to the wireless industry has allowed it regularly bypass and steamroll local authorities. In the same way, a coddled wireless industry intimidated and silenced the City of San Francisco in 2010 when voters passed the Cell Phone Radiation Law, a right-to-know safety ordinance warning cellphone users about health risks. The CTIA Wireless Association Political Action Committee, with its huge standing army of lawyers, used outright legal bullying as its favored tactic. It sued the City of San Francisco. The City, fearing a prolonged legal fight with an industry that generates hundreds of billions of dollars in annual revenue, backed down.
Seeing the telecom industry roll over municipal laws, the president of the American Academy of Environmental Medicine wrote:
My heart sank as I saw big business once again put the FCC knife to the throats of the City Council and tell them they would have to sit and watch as the wireless industry raped and ravaged the community and there was nothing they could do…every citizen is being blasted on the cellular level with this radiation. It may take two or three decades to manifest the cancer or dementia, but it is adversely affecting us all”.
Newly released public records show that California public health officials worked for five years on guidelines and warnings about the potential dangers of cell phones, revising their work 27 times with updated research before abandoning their efforts to make their concerns public. The 27 versions show that health officials deleted a section that warned state employees with work-issued cell phones about the potential increased risk for brain cancer from use of the device over time. The final version of the guidelines included a warning to the public about exposure to electromagnetic fields emitted by cell phones, but was never included.
The FCC will grant federal preemption to any wireless provider that requests it, including ExteNet and its 3089 22nd Street client T-Mobile. One would think the FCC would at least enforce its own emission standards. But vast evidence of non-compliance exists. Ten to twenty percent of light, electric pole and rooftop antennas exceed allowed radiation standards. That means that they are emitting radiation in violation of FCC standards. “There are dangers to the thousands of workers who come in close contact with cell phone antennas”, writes the rating agency A.M Best, which advises insurers on risk.
“Thermal effects of the cellular antennas which act at close range are essentially open microwave ovens. The effects include eye damage, sterility and cognitive impairment. The continued exponential growth of cell towers will significantly increase exposure of these workers and others coming into close contact with high energy cell phone antenna radiation”.
Dr. Bill Curry found one in ten cell sites out of compliance. He warned in his report that extreme microwave antenna hazards exist for omni-directional antennas located close to inhabited buildings, as well as for directional antennas which focus radiation into elevated homes. The proposed small cell antenna for 3089 22nd would be very close to the window of the building’s inhabitants.
“People who live near cell towers are in jeopardy”, the president of American Academy of Environmental Medicine warns.
A troubling body of evidence suggests exposure to even low emission levels at typical cellular frequencies can have a wide range of negative effects. In a 2010 review of research on the biological effects of exposure to radiation from cell towers, Blake Levitt and Henry Lai found that caution is needed in infrastructure siting. The results of their study showed that the closer a person lived to a tower the greater the increase in physical symptoms and complaints. At ten meters symptoms included nausea, loss of appetite, visual disruptions and difficulties in moving. At 100 meters significant symptoms such as increase in memory loss, dizziness, depressive tendencies, concentration difficulties, lower libido, sleep disturbance and tremors were observed. Radiation levels are calculated from computer models produced by the wireless industry, not from actual site measurements. The residents of 3089 22nd street and those in the vicinity are not privy to information on what DNA-busting frequencies and power densities are invading their buildings and bodies from exposure to this antenna.
Thus far the FCC has refused to acknowledge there may be wireless health risks, especially to children and pregnant women. I don’t believe that just because something can be done it should be allowed. Murder and rape are doable but are prohibited and regulated. Government regulators have a responsibility to examine the consequences of this technology and act to contain them. But the FCC continues to convey the message: “you can study health effects all you want. It doesn’t matter what you find . The buildout of wireless cannot be blocked or slowed by health issues”.
Mobilitie, a telecommunications company installing small cell antennas, like ExteNet, petitioned the FCC claiming, “robust deployment of wireless facilities and networks demonstrably serves the public interest. The FCC has found that all consumers want wireless and that wireless is now an essential public service”. Contrary to Mobilitie and FCC’s assumptions, not all Americans want their homes and neighborhoods polluted so that some people can have cell phone use. On the contrary, the deployment of small cells serves the unbounded profit motive of telecom corporations such as ExteNet and T-Mobile. A significant percentage of the population adamantly oppose being involuntarily exposed to more radiation for the benefit of telecommunications profits.
In 2011 wireless radiation was classified as a possible 2B carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer at the World Health Organization. If international scientists, doctors and others are warning that wireless radiation exposure is a threat to public and environmental health, why is the Department of Public Works facilitating the installation of these antennas?
International scientists and doctors advise reducing wireless radiation exposure to protect public and environmental health. In 2016 the National Toxicology Program published a 25 million dollar study, one of the largest and most comprehensive studies on cell phone radiation and cancer. In the study the rats exposed to cell phone radiation developed two types of cancers, glioma, a brain tumor, and schwannoma, a tumor in the heart.
Over two hundred scientists have signed the International EMF Scientist Appeal:
“We are scientists engaged it the study of biological and health effects of non-ionizing electromagnetic fields. Based upon peer-reviewed, published research we have serious concerns regarding the ubiquitous and increasing exposure to EMF generated by electric and wireless devices. These include but are not limited to radio-frequency radiation emitting devices such as cellular and cordless phones and their base stations, wifi, broadcast antennas, et al”.
The BioInitiative Report, updated in 2012 and prepared by 29 authors from ten countries,
reviewed 2,000 studies and concluded:
“EMF and RFR are preventable toxic exposures. We have the knowledge and means to save global populations from multi-generational adverse health consequences by reducing both ELF and RFR exposures. Proactive and immediate measures to reduce unnecessary EMF exposures will lower disease burden and rates of premature death”.
Based on current available literature, I feel justified to conclude that RF/MF electromagnetic fields radiation exposure can change neurotransmitter functions, bloodbrain barrier, morphology, electrophysiology, cellular metabolism, and gene and protein expression in certain types of cells, even at low intensities.
The deployment of a denser small cell antenna system is a major change to the environment, not a minor one and therefore should be subject to CEQA laws. There is no substantial evidence to support a determination that the deployment fits CEQA exemptions. Rather there is substantial evidence to support the argument that the deployment will create substantial environmental impacts. Telecom interests do not outweigh local, municipal, county and state jurisdiction.
There is evidence that small cell emissions will negatively impact a wide range of living organisms. A study by the Centre for Environment and Vocational Studies of Punjab University noted that embryos of 50 eggs of house sparrows were damaged after being exposed to cell antennas radiation for 5-30 minutes.
Studies show that insects are harmed by radiation. Food collection and response in an ant colony exposed to EMR found exposure caused colony deterioration and affected the insects’ behavior and physiology. Earthworms exposed to to electromagnetic fields caused DNA damage and other geotoxic effects.
The U.S. Department of the Interior states wireless radiation threatens birds and they criticize the FCC’s radiation safety guidelines:
“the electromagnetic radiation standards used by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) continue to be based on thermal heating, a criterion now nearly 30 years out of date and inapplicable today.” Two hundred forty one bird species are at mortality risk from both tower collisions and from
exposure to the radiation towers emit. This includes birds that are endangered or threatened, Birds of Conservation Concern, migratory birds, and eagles. Studies of radiation impacts on wild birds documented nest abandonment, plumage deterioration and death. Birds studied included House Sparrows, White Storks, Collared Doves, and other species. Studies in laboratories of chick embryos documented heart attacks and death”.
Scientists in Germany studied tree damage in relation to electromagnetic radiation
from 2006-2015. They monitored, observed and photographed unusual or unexplainable
tree damage, and measured the radiation the trees were exposed to. “The aim of this study was to verify whether there is a connection between unusual (generally unilateral) tree damage and radiofrequency exposure.” They found significant differences between the damaged side of a tree facing a phone mast and the opposite side, as well as differences between the exposed side of damaged trees and all other groups of trees in both sides. They found no tree damage in low radiation areas. The scientists concluded,
“Statistical analysis demonstrated that electromagnetic radiation from mobile phone masts is harmful for trees.”
Another study concluded that the top of trees dry up when they directly face cell antennas.
While independent scientific studies show the harmfulness of wireless radiation on nature, the FCC chooses strikingly patronizing language to slight and trivialize the many scientists and health and safety experts who‘ve found cause for concern. In a two page Web post titled ―Wireless Devices and Health Concerns, the FCC four times refers to either ―some health and safety interest
groups,―some parties or ―some consumers, and in each case rebutts their presumably groundless
concerns about wireless risk. Instead of relying on the public’s ignorance, the FCC should determine whether the current levels of EMR exposure is safe for the public.
Finally, the precautionary principle needs to be adopted as your framework of guidelines for public exposure.
Date: June 1, 2017
Appeal for Permit Number: 16WR-0312
Address: 3089 22nd Street
I am appealing the issuance of Wireless Permit 16WR-0312 by the Department of Public Works Bureau of Street Use and Mapping issued to ExteNet Systems, Inc. This permit should be denied because of the conditions set for th in this document.
2067 10th Avenue
San Francisco, CA
From Joe Esposito, Oklahoma
20/20 examines severe addictions to Digital Devices – MRI reveals impacts on the brain
From Andrew Michrowski, P.A.C.E., Canada
US Psychotronics Association Conference 2017